Clubs find members with posters, media

Rachel Logan, Opinions Editor

Many people might have fantastic ideas for new and useful clubs but might not have the know-how to get word out to interested students.

According to Student Life Director Sherri Rae, people with club ideas should talk to her to proceed. Aspiring organizations can have fliers posted and rooms reserved.

The only restriction for posters is that events serving alcohol cannot be posted, Rae said. Also, posters in the Student Union must be stamped by Student Life employees.

Posters for residence halls must be stamped by  housing staff, she said. Posters then go to resident directors’ mailboxes, and staff members decide where to post them according to where is best in each hall, Rae said.

Some organization members decide to go door-to-door in residence halls to advertise. Going door-to-door, or dorm storming, must be cleared with the Resident Life employees and with the resident assistants in the building, Rae said.

“We don’t want a ton of people running around while events are going on,” Rae said.

Rae said there is no approval process in academic buildings. Students can post anything on public use billboards. Some billboards are division-specific and might not be available for posting, she said.

Sophomore Dana Dyer’s new club, the UPJ Dance Team, was approved Jan. 19.

“The UPJ Dance Team is a new club that I started on campus to entertain the crowd during halftime sporting events, pep rallies and other events on campus when asked,” Dyer said.

Dyer said she put her contact information on posters slipped under doors.

“People have been contacting me, which is great and just shows how interested people are in the club.”

“When starting this club, I had 13 people interested,” Dyer said. “I am looking for 15 to 20 people.”

Rae also said emails and social media are good for advertising. She has sent weekly emails about campus events and asks for clubs to send her event information to include.

“We try not to inundate people, but campus-wide events, we’d love to add to the weekly email.”

Rae said social media is a good medium for advertising.

“Many clubs use Facebook or Twitter to keep members up to date,” she said. “I’ll retweet events.”

Student Abdullahi Mada is in the process of starting Muslim Students Association, a community for discussing Islam.

Mada said he will use private groups on social media to keep members up to date.

Club leader Peter Malich’s organization, Veteran’s Way, passed into clubhood last Tuesday. Malich is striving to make a friendly community for past veterans.

“The club is open to anyone who is (or) has served in the armed forces,” he said.

“We do plan on reaching out and becoming active with the community and other veteran groups, but for the time, I would like to establish a strong sense of community and a place for us to try and network with each other.”

Malich has advice for aspiring clubs.

“Cultivate an atmosphere where people want to join instead of coming from the frame of drawing people in,” he said. “Absolutely get your organization’s name out there, but having a great time and doing exciting things is really the best selling point.”