Campus community was election-ready

Breanna Berkebile, Opinions Editor

Campus community members prepped for the presidential election, sharing their thoughts on politics and how it has affected them.

For professor Christopher Cook, this year’s election had some effect on class sessions and discussions.

“I’m not sure if (the impact is) positive or negative, but there is, for lack of a better term, a different vibe this year than in past elections.”

Cook said that it’s more important for him to discuss American government processes and how politics work in class as opposed to repeating TV news.

“I want my students to be critical thinking and intelligent citizens,” he said.

Senior Arielle Sloss, a former Cook student, said she likes to share informative political posts because it is effective in updating people on election details.

“I don’t like to share my thoughts on politics through big posts on Facebook. I think that is the least effective way. Instead, I love to share videos and articles that share political facts so people are informed.”

She said that this year’s election isn’t the best.

“I’m just disappointed with both political side’s (candidates) with the way they represent themselves … tweeting insults at each other is childish. They can take the high road, but neither have.”

She said that, despite being let down, it’s important to not get too discouraged because there are other positive political aspects.

“You’re allowed to have an opinion, which is amazing.

“Just the fact that we have a say in how we want to live – I think it’s beautiful.”

Freshman Makenzie Croyle said that, to prepare for this election, she studied other political details.

“I read up on the candidates for other state offices, like the attorney general, rather than just focusing on the presidential candidates.”

Afterward, she said she prayed.

Croyle said she feels that the Democratic candidate is more suitable for presidency.

“In my opinion, there is one candidate in this election that would help the United States rather than hurt it.

“To put it simply, I’m with her.”

Cook said, politics are contentious, but, regardless of political affiliation, the Constitution is the same.

“It is important for (students) to realize that candidates can say anything they want on the campaign trail, or in a debate, but it doesn’t mean, if elected, they will actually have that power.

“We are not electing a king, we are electing a person who fits into a constitutional system based on separation of powers and checks and balances.”

Cook said that after voting in the morning, he checks certain websites to stay updated.

“I scour the news, trusted blogs and Twitter feeds for clues to turn out and exit polls from key counties across the United States.

“Polling is great, but it doesn’t mean a thing if people don’t come out and vote.”