Positions sought at fair

A photo from upj.pitt.edu shows students and employers talking at the job and internship fair March 24.

Eden Cohen, Managing Editor

About 100 employers and at least 200 students attended a job and internship fair March 24 in the Wellness Center.

More employers attended this year’s fair than any previous, according to employer relations specialist Kim Shook.

“Companies understand the value of a Pitt-Johnstown degree and are interested in recruiting our students,” Shook said.

“We are very pleased with how the fair went,” Shook said.

Senior marketing and human resource management major Morgan Miller said Goodwill Industries, the City of Johnstown and PLS Logistics caught her interest, and she plans to contact them within the next few weeks.

Miller said she attended the fair because she was offered two internships after last year’s fair. She found it more challenging, however, to find employers hiring for full-time positions instead of for internships.

Senior accounting major Jordon Hill said he agreed that more employers were looking for interns instead of full-time employees. He said, however, it was nice to talk to government agency representatives and gain insight on what they look for in employees.

He plans to apply to Pennsylvania’s Revenue Department and the FBI, he said. He will have a better judge on how beneficial the fair was after seeing if he is called for interviews, he said.

Miller said the fair was better than last year’s because it was not divided between two rooms, and it had more employers.

Previous fairs were held in Heritage Hall in the Living/Learning Center, but this year’s fair was too large for that location, Shook said.

For next year, Miller suggested having drawstring bags into which students could put employer handouts. Hill said he would have liked to see more accounting firms and businesses outside of Johnstown, such as near Pittsburgh.

Despite these recommendations, Miller was pleased with the fair.

“The fair is a great opportunity to meet potential employers,” she said. “I strongly recommend students (to) attend.”