Players’ victory attracts new members

Samantha Curcio, Contributing Writer

The Pitt-Johnstown volleyball team is off to a great start, coming off of a 19-13 record last year, the Lady Cats are off to a 6-2 start.

The Lady Cats were selected by league coaches to win the preseason PSAC Eastern Division.

Along with the success of the team, there were several freshmen who made All-PSAC Team this past season.

Cambria Wierman, showing impressive numbers her freshman year, had a lot to say about

her goals and the productivity of the team this year.

Coming in as a freshman, Wierman said that transitioning from high school to the collegiate level was difficult.

“The speed of the game is faster, and you have to get used to it,” said Wierman.

At least one aspect, however, does not change from high school to college.

“Volleyball isn’t a one person sport,” said Wierman.  “It takes team work.”

Wierman said the Pitt-Johnstown version of volleyball has some important positive aspects.

“Our team is very close and has a lot of depth, which will bring us further this year.”

Wierman’s goals this year are to be a leader and a go-to player. She wants to challenge herself by going into tight situations and coming in clutch for her team by scoring points.

Wierman had 398.5 points last season along with 3.14 points per set, 250 kills and 2.75 kills per set.

Team members posted impressive numbers last season.

They had a higher percentage in every category, as far as kills, total attacks, attack percentage, and kills per set. The Lady Cats won 13-9 in conference matches, 6-4 non conference, and 19-13 overall.

One acheivment this season that put the Lady Cats as the second seed in the PSAC  Eastern Division was defeat against Millersville in the sweep.

Wierman got 11 kills and 6 digs in that game. 

Along with Wierman, Delany Roman, and Kendall Mahony all had a high percentage of kills and digs to carry the team.