Hockey players lose ice

Eric Brimmeier, Contributing Writer

The Pitt-Johnstown Ice Cats are to practice at a different venue the first month of the season.

Due to the Planet Ice closing in Richland Township closing July 31, the Ice Cats will be taking the ice at the Ebensburg Ice Arena for September, until the Cambria County War Memorial Arena in Johnstown is renovated.

In previous seasons, the Ice Cats had the luxury of traveling to Planet Ice for their first month of practices.

Only a short drive from the Pitt-Johnstown campus, Planet Ice was convenient and quick.

“It’s not going to be convenient like Planet Ice was, but we will just have to deal with it until the War Memorial ice is ready,” senior defensemen Dan Yost said.

Cambria County War Memorial managers are currently putting a new ice surface in that will not be ready until the end of September, right before the Ice Cats first game at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 30 against Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

“It’s not a big deal; the guys will be focused and ready whenever the games start,” senior forward Denzel Sullivan said.

“As long as the guys stay positive and work hard this first month, it won’t matter where we practice.”

Recently, the Ice Cats have been trying to think of fundraising opportunities to raise enough money to purchase new jerseys for the upcoming season.

“We would like a third jersey to wear at some of the home games. It would be a different look for sure, but it may draw in more fans to the games this year,” senior forward Marc Swankler said.

According to Swankler, a possible jersey idea could be yellow with “Johnstown” printed diagonally across the front of the jersey.