Rugby tallies up another win

Sarah Francowic, Sports Editor

The Pitt-Johnstown club rugby team had a 60-21 win this weekend against Pennsylvania State University as Altoona.

The rugby team, better known as the Farm Apes, are 4-0 in conference match-ups and 14-0 overall since last season.

Sophomores outside center Matt Croyle had four tries and scrumhalf Dom Marini had two tries along with junior inside center Jarded Hoover, sophomore wing Matt Speck and freshman hooker Cole Seaman all adding a single try.

Junior fly half Jake Bowser went seven and nine with extra-point kicks.

“We were missing a few starters due to injuries, but the new guys really came through and helped us get a nice team win,” Bowser said.

Head Coach Josh Horner said Penn. State Altoona didn’t have a full roster so each team only competed with 14 players instead of the usual 15.

“It was kind of a slow start for us defensively, but we tightened up and secured the win,” Horner said.

“A lot of the new guys stepped up this game; Matt Speck scored in his first ever rugby game… that’s huge.

“I’m very happy overall, but we still have some things to work on before traveling to Clarion University this weekend.”

Oct. 8 is the next match for the Farm Apes when they take on Clarion University.

Horner said no matter whom they face, the team never takes any competitor lightly.

“Clarion…will definitely be more of a challenge this year, but I’m confident that will will execute our plays and run a tight defense to get the win,” Horner said.