Students leave healthy habits at home

Natasha Bazika, Contributing Writer

Many students seem to rely on their friends to schedule a time to eat rather than adhering to the traditional times of breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Senior Maddy Waltenbaugh said her eating schedule has to do with traditional meal times.

“I can’t even track my eating at school because I only go when friends text me to go.”

Some people seem to eat even when they are not hungry because it is a social act.

At home, students were encouraged by parents to stick to traditional meal times. Dinner was a family gathering, as was breakfast at times, and lunch was often a light and quick meal.

Time is an important issue when understanding a student’s eating habits in college. Three students said they would often skip breakfast because they were running late or had an early class. Instead, they would buy or make a cup of coffee.

Waltenbaugh said her blood is basically caffeine; some students rely on coffee rather than a nutritious breakfast to start the day.

College students can have a busy schedule including extracurricular activities and other responsibilities, all in one day. This makes it difficult to stick to a healthy eating schedule.

At home, students can be more at ease and enjoy cooking their own food, often with the company of family.

Also, at home, students don’t have to worry about money as food is already in the refrigerator.

In college, the cafeteria and places like the Tuck Shop are usually the main food sources, which are costly.

Freshman Ariel Liu said she has larger portion sizes at college because she can.

At home, the portion sizes are much smaller because of the limited food that is placed on the table.

Therefore, it can be said that students, throughout their college life, acquire unhealthy eating habits as opposed to at home due to time constraints and financial consideration.