Animal shelter receives helping hands

Ashley Shriver, Contributing Writer

In the  Cambria County Humane Society shelter’s lobby, the first thing one might notice are papers on a clipboard on an office door.

An average of 20 such papers are received every week, according to society board member Luke Trotz.

These papers are volunteer applications, which Trotz helps to review.

The staff at the shelter along Galleria Drive in Richland Township, are never short on helping hands, including Pitt-Johnstown students’ hands.

Members of business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi volunteer at the shelter every other weekend.

According to Trotz, the fraternity is split into two groups of volunteers. Each group goes to the shelter one Saturday a month to volunteer.

Freshman Michael Barron, volunteers at the shelter two to three times a week, helping anyway he can, according to the Humane Society’s website.

Barron’s commitment to shelter animals at the humane society has earned him the honor of being named a volunteer of the month.

The other volunteer of the month is Brittany Patrick, a first-grade teacher at Westmont Hilltop Elementary School, who also volunteers at the shelter a few days per week.

Humane society staff members are used to receiving help from Westmont Hilltop. Senior Samantha Cramer ran a donation drive for her senior project.

She collected 101 bags of food, 38 cans of food and $11,000. Of the $11,000 donated, $10,000 was received from one woman, anonymously.

According to the Tribune-Democrat, the woman donated the money in honor of her deceased sister.

Sherry Stalley-Frear, another humane society board member, told the Tribune-Democrat that the money is planned to be used to complete a cat room.