Yellow Jacket has a Ferndale home

Daniel Cannon

The Yellow Jacket Café, a new restaurant in Ferndale Borough, is decked out in black and yellow.

Martina Flanagan, Contributing Writer

Locally owned restaurants seem to give a small community like Ferndale Borough character.

The Yellow Jacket Café, owned by Lisa Barnes,  is giving that homey feel to the borough.

The community seems to be buzzing over its newest café, considering it’s decked in yellow and black and the well-known yellow jacket mascot is plastered on the walls.

“The Yellow Jacket Café is very community-oriented,” said Brittany Bryner, who visits the café often.

“I’m a cheer coach for the Ferndale Area Junior High School cheerleading team, and the café was generous enough to donate to my squad and other Ferndale programs.”

Bryner also praised the cafe staff and atmosphere.

“The service was friendly and everyone who works there is happy to serve whoever comes in. The atmosphere on the inside of the café is super cool and inviting.”

The cafe also is convenient, Bryner said.

“I have three kids and picking up a quick meal for them after I get off work is really convenient since they are just down the road from us. I think the owners picked a perfect place for their business.”

Kody Leibowitz,  a loyal patron, called the cafe the best lunch spot in the region.

“The atmosphere is cozy, the employees are welcoming and the food is top-notch. I went to give the place a shot and ended up back there twice a week, at least, for the last month or so,” Leibowitz said.

Barnes said she is new to the restaurant business.

“Me and my fiancé bought the building on May 30 and opened the café on July 8. Community involvement is extremely important. We try to sponsor anywhere we can, not just Ferndale, but everywhere,” said Barnes.

“Business can always be better, but I don’t have a lot to complain about.”

“We have a core menu that we have all the time and our executive chef, Michael Litterine, is amazing.”

“Everything is homemade, fresh and made from scratch. Our meat is cut fresh daily. Nothing is processed,” said Barnes.

The café is at 537 Ferndale Ave. The hours are 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays. Fridays and Saturdays the café is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.  The cafe is closed Sundays.