The University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown's student newspaper

The Advocate

Third reader to offer fiction focus

Second Fall Reading Series speaker Marissa Landrigan reads to the audience from her book, “The Vegetarian’s Guide to Eating Meat: A Young Woman’s Search For Ethical Food” Oct. 19 in Blackington Hall.

Natasha Bazika

Natasha Bazika

Breanna Berkebile, Editor-in-Chief

When the leaves change color, authors of poetry, nonfiction and fiction come to Pitt-Johsntown’s campus for the annual Fall Reading Series to read their work, which is to conclude with Penn-State-Erie (Behrend) professor Tom Noyes Nov. 9.

According to senior Jeffrey Adams, the series gives him a sense of comradery and shows that Pitt-Johnstown’s Humanities Division is thriving.

“The Fall Reading Series is a phenomenal display that the humanities are alive and well on (Pitt-Johnstown’s) campus.

“It is always enjoyable to be in a room of people who have been brought together to watch and listen to the creative output of another person; there is a sense of community that cannot be denied, which the series provides.”

To achieve this requires planning.

With a small budget, the first step in searching for authors is to find those who are within about a three-hour drive, according to professor Michael Cox, who conducts the series with help from other Humanities administrators.

There’s been authors from Ohio University, Penn State-Erie and Altoona and Pitt-Oakland. There also have been authors from West Virginia University and Frostburg State University, said Cox.

The authors are usually academics, as well, because they teach a master class before the reading, according to Cox.

Cox said that the readings take place on Thursday evenings so that his Advanced Seminar in Writing course students can attend as a part of the course. The course is held 6 to 8:40 p.m. Thursdays.

Each series, the goal is to have different genres for each reading.

“We always try to have nonfiction, fiction and poetry,” Cox said.

For this series’ poetry, Sheila Squillante, a Chatham University professor, read from her book, “Beautiful Nerve.” For nonfiction, Pitt-Johnstown’s Marissa Landrigan read from her book, “The Vegetarian’s Guide to Eating Meat: A Young Woman’s Search for Ethical Food.”

Squillante read Sept. 28 and Landrigan read Oct. 19 and both ended with a long round of applause.

To conclude the series, Penn State-Erie professor, Tom Noyes, is to read Thursday, Nov. 9 from his most recent work of fiction, “Come by Here: A Novella and Stories.”

According to Cox, Noyes’ writing is descriptive and full.

“His writing is really detailed in a classical way.

“He leaves no stone unturned.”

Noyes is to read at 7 p.m. in Blackington 131.