Library offers movies, graphic novels

Callie Burgan, Contributing Writer

Although the Owen Library may be well-known as a haven for bookworms, as well as a quiet place for studying, it also offers an array of hidden gems. 

Many may be pleasantly surprised to find that, in addition to standard library services such as book borrowing, the library also can loan a vast collection of both DVD and CDs for up to two weeks. 

Shelves are stocked with new releases which are updated on a regular basis by librarian David Kupas. Borrowing is free of charge to Pitt-Johnstown students.

On top of this, the library workers also offer week-long loans of laptops, iPads and Chromebooks. 

Librarian Sara Herr said she was interested in getting the word out about board games in the curriculum room on the second floor.

“A large majority of the board games are brought in as part of the student-teaching program. Games such as Monopoly that aid in math skills or other learning techniques are placed there.

“Education majors find this especially useful when they are involved in hands-on student teaching projects. Juvenile books, kits and instructional aids are also available.”

Although periodicals and research materials are the main spotlight of publications in the Owen Library facility, a stream of young adult and graphic novels can be found on both the second-floor curriculum room and the main floor.

“While targeted for education majors, anyone who enjoys reading for leisure has the ability to check these books out. I know that many students especially enjoy the Harry Potter collection.” Herr said.

A Special Collections room can also be found on the second floor that includes the library archives and rare books that pertain to Pitt-Johnstown history.

Peter Egler, Owen Library director, said he was excited to have the chance to bring the newest library features to light.

“As of this year, professors now have the opportunity to donate copies of textbooks for library use. This allows students to make the most of their study sessions in the library in situations where they may not have their textbook on-hand.”

The Owen Library website provides the ability to make an appointment with one of the librarians for help with academics such as research projects.

Upon discovery of these lesser-known library features, sophomore Hunter Muro said he was interested.

“I knew about the DVD and CD rentals, but that was the extent of my familiarity of Owen. I think that students would definitely be inclined to stop by more often if they knew the extent of the services provided here.”

According to Egler, student feedback is highly pursued. 

“The Owen Library staff is committed to fulfilling the needs of the students. Whether it be for a research project or a recommendation of a new hit movie to be added to our shelves, we are ecstatic to be serving the student body this year. Communication is key. 

“We want to extend the message to the campus that our door is always open. Don’t hesitate to stop by and make use of all of the resources Owen has to offer.” Egler said.