Getting their Zzz’s: some do, some don’t

Nadia Miller, Contributing Writer

Although it may seem rational as college students grow over the years that going to bed early is smart, some seniors still struggle with having a good sleep schedule. 

Mariah Butchko, a senior majoring in early childhood and special education, said that her sleep schedule has gotten worse over her years in college.

“Over my college years, my sleep schedule (became) progressively worse because of having a lot of responsibilities.

“Being a student teacher, which is a full-time job, plus track, clubs and studies, I continue to average five to six hours of rest each night,” Butchko said.

Another senior who has a poor sleep schedule is Jazmin Jordan, who majors in history and has a political science minor. 

Jordan said she believes that her being in college made her sleep schedule worse.

She said she has at least six hours a night and takes naps throughout the day. Jordan said she considers herself more tired during the day than at night.

Some seniors say their poor sleep schedule started from freshmen year of college. 

Freshman Andrea Jones, who studies psychology, said that, with the amount of work, procrastination and her roommates’ distractions, she lacks sleep. 

Jones said that, on average, she gets three to four hours of sleep a night. 

Another freshman, Meghan O’Connor, said that she wants to improve her sleep schedule this semester.

“Fall term was less sleep, going to bed at 3 to 4  in the morning, barely making it to (a) 9 a.m. class,” O’Connor said. 

“I’m napping every day for two hours and sleeping in on the weekends, not being productive.”

O’Connor said that she believes this semester she will be better with her sleep schedule, since she is not taking any more naps and going to bed on time. 

While some struggle with going to bed on time, there are some students who managed to keep a good sleep schedule. 

Senior Alyssa Kubler, who is majoring in accounting, says that her sleep schedule is pretty good, as she gets seven to eight hours of sleep a night.

Kubler said she takes no naps during the day, and she gets her homework done by 10 p.m. 

She said that, if her sleep schedule ever went off  track,  it would be because of stress or because she works at night. 

Another senior with a good sleep schedule is Katie Lippincott, who is studying biology.

She said she has a similar sleep schedule to Kubler. 

Lippincott said that she has to get seven to eight hours every night or she may be grumpy during the day.

She completes her work early and wakes up in the morning to get extra studies in. 

Health Services Clinical Coordinator Patricia Ankney said that sleep is important for students.

“Sleep helps the immune system fight off germs. When being sick, the immune system does the thing antibiotics can’t do.

“At the most, getting six to eight hours a night is considered a perfect sleep schedule. 

“Lack of sleep causes cognitive performance to suffer. Memory is affected with lack of sleep because learning replays in your brain while sleeping. Attention, mood and self-control are affected by lack of sleep,” Ankney said.