Symphony to offer night at the movies

Callie Burgan, Opinions Editor

The Johnstown Symphony Orchestra is inviting students to immerse themselves in music from famous Hollywood films at Movie Night at the Symphony. 

The event is planned for from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Feb. 9.   at the Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center.

It will feature scores from a variety of blockbusters, including “Titanic,” Disney’s “UP” and “Star Wars.” 

In addition, music from “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and “Lord of the Rings” is to be performed.

Popcorn and drinks are to be sold during the event.

Maestro James Blachly said he is looking forward to the night.

“Last time the Johnstown Symphony Orchestra performed John Williams, the composer of Star Wars, the show sold out.  People came dressed as their favorite characters. It was a blast.”

Blachly said that the show would make a perfect date night.

“This is definitely a show that you could enjoy with your significant other. It puts a spin on your typical movie theater date,” Blachly said.

“Come and experience the music of these great films like you’ve never experienced it before, with a live symphony orchestra in surround sound, but better.” 

The Johnstown Symphony Orchestra is inviting people to dress up for this concert as well, but there is no dress code. 

“Maybe you want to dress as Audrey Hepburn in a little black dress, or Chewie, or Darth Vader.

“This will definitely be one of the most fun and laid-back shows of the year.”

Their last performance, Handel’s Messiah, was Dec. 8. Freshman Shirley Lyu said that she described the event as impressive.

“As an exchange student, it was my first time ever experiencing the symphony.

“I really enjoyed the music and would like to attend more shows soon.”

Tickets are $10 for Pitt-Johnstown students and can be purchased at the Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center. 

If the show does not sell out, students can show up to the event with their student IDs to gain free entrance.