New campus recycling starts slowly

Mary-Lynn Retassie

Freshman Adam Bambino uses a recycling bin Friday in Krebs Hall.

Lucy Li, Features Editor

A reconstructed recycling program was launched in October, but the bins were finally placed in academic common areas Feb. 18.

However, according to a program flyer, only paper recycling bins were placed.

Auxiliary Services Director Joyce Radovanic, who initiated the program, did not directly address why it took so long to place the bins.

“Along with Facilities Management, Waste Management, and many staff and faculty members, we were able to complete our recycling plan. 

“The thoughtful process took time for us to determine the needs in each academic building.  After the information was collected, we ordered new bins and signage and decided the areas where all (bins) should be placed.”

Radovanic said Waste Management employees suggested that they start the recycling program in stages.

“Paper first, and by March 18, aluminum and plastic.

“The size of (the paper, plastic or aluminum and trash) bins were determined by (the) amount of foot traffic in specific areas.

“Student Affairs (administrators) sent an email to resident students introducing recycling in the residence halls, and I (along with Student  Affairs) will be sending more information to the entire student body by the end of this week. 

“Information has been emailed to faculty and staff, and I will follow up with each department individually to make sure all needs were met and to encourage their feedback,” she said.

One of the places that a blue paper bin was located was the library, next to the first floor printer.

The bin was placed right next to the printer on the first floor.

Librarian Laurie Voelker said the bin was placed there two weeks ago.

“We check (the bin to see whether it’s filled). I think students use it.”

Voelker said that, before the blue bin was placed there, they used to recycle in the library, too.

“We always recycled paper.

“We work with the Bridge students from the education department; we send our paper to them,” she said.

Junior Emily Kaczmarek said she uses the bin.

“I toss a few papers in if I printed more than I needed,” she said.

“I always try to recycle.” 

Radovanic said there are certain guidelines that need to be followed when recycling.

“In blue paper bins, discard full sheets of paper, magazines, and newspapers. Placing paper smaller than 8.5 inches x 11 inches in the paper bins will contaminate the entire container.

“Plastic bottles, metal cans and aluminum should be discarded in recycling bins. Please empty liquids and remaining food.

“No tissues, paper towels, shredded paper, glass or plastic bags are recyclable. These will contaminate the recycling materials and will add more trash to landfills.

“Remember: when in doubt, throw it out.”