New Residence Life leaders take reins

Natasha Bazika

New Residence Life Director Chris Lemasters works at his desk in 130 Student Union. He began working at Pitt-Johnstown July 31.

Breanna Berkebile, Editor-in-Chief

At the end of last semester, Residence Life Director Shaun Hemphill and Freshmen Area Coordinator Dom Diloreto left, leaving these two positions open.

Since then, Chris Lemasters has been hired as the new Residence Life director and Amanda Loeffler has been hired as the new freshmen area coordinator.

Lemasters, who’s in charge of supervising area coordinators, started his journey at Pitt-Johnstown July 31, after completing his duties at Randolph College in Lynchburg, Virginia.

There, Lemasters said he also worked in Residence Life, making the transition from Randolph to Pitt-Johnstown easier.

Lemasters said Pitt-Johnstown Residence Life training, in August, was a great learning opportunity for staff members because of the way they handled the training.

“(Residence Life) has a great group of student leaders. They just rolled with it and were very self-sufficient.”

According to Student Affairs Vice President Shawn Brooks, this year’s training has been one of the best he has seen.

“The feedback from staff members was very positive. Things are going very well with the Residence Life team so far.

“I am very pleased with the direction that our new director is steering (Residence Life staff).”

Loeffler, who dabbled in working in Residence Life at Pitt-Greensburg, said that her job as freshmen area coordinator involves supervising residence assistants in freshmen housing and serving in an area coordinator rotation on call.

Although Loeffler said she had to learn Pitt-Johnstown’s policies and code of conduct, it was nice not being the only new member on residence life staff.

“It was really cool to start out together.”

In addition to Lemasters and Loeffler, Angela Delfine and Brandon Ford were hired as new graduate area coordinators –a position that graduate students cycle in and out of every two years.

According to Loeffler, she’s pleased with her Residence Life staff members.

“I can rely on them, and I’m very thankful for them.”

Loeffler said staff members are on the lookout for ways to benefit Pitt-Johnstown’s community.

“We’re always looking for ways to transform the campus in positive ways.”

According to Lemasters, staff members also want to create a unique community where students can feel at home.

Brooks said he is confident in staff members to complete all tasks and goals.

“I look forward to Residence Life to continue to provide students with an excellent residential experience.

“I believe we have the staff in place now to do just that.”