Alum speaks on leadership to encourage

Mary-Lynn Retassie

Pitt-Johnstown alumnus Rich Ragan, who donated $500,000 for a new campus basketball court, spoke to students and faculty about business leadership March 21 in the Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center.

Matt Churella, News Editor

At least three speakers were scheduled on campus last Wednesday—only one event was not canceled due to weather conditions.

Pitt-Johnstown Business and Enterprise faculty sponsored an event at the Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center, which was a part of the Global Impact Speakers and Talks series.

Pitt-Johnstown alumnus Rich Ragan, a 1978 graduate, and author Andrew Maraniss were speakers for the event.

Two other guests were scheduled to speak at the same time as Rich Ragan, but both were canceled.

State Rep. Jim Christiana, R-15th, was to speak at Blackington Hall, and author Yona Harvey was to read poetry at Whalley Chapel.

At the Rich Ragan event, Pitt-Johnstown President Jem Spectar and Business and Enterprise Division Chair Ray Wrabley also spoke.

“This event is a unique opportunity to bring together as many students from the Business and Enterprise program, the faculty and distinguished speakers,” Spectar said.

“Every university, every institution, would be fortunate to have an alum of Rich Ragan(‘s caliber.)”

Spectar told the audience that Ragan had donated half a million dollars to get a new basketball court floor.

“You need to applaud for that, folks. We’ve been waiting for it for 10 years,” Spectar said.

Ragan told the audience that business leadership is important.

“In my mind, leadership is the mother of entrepreneurship,” Ragan said.

Ragan said that a successful leader focuses on making progress every day, and he told the audience not to be afraid to take risks, which lead to his many words of leadership skills—delegate, empower, vision, listen and plan.

Ragan told the audience to have the confidence to make a decision, even if it’s the wrong one.

“I hope students have taken things I’ve said and use them,” Ragan said in conclusion.

Andrew Maraniss, author of “Strong Inside,” a book about black basketball player Perry Wallace, and the adversities he faced while playing basketball.

Maraniss spoke to the audience about his long book-writing process that included interviews with Wallace, researching newspaper articles, collecting old photographs and reading books to sharpen his writing skills.

The event lasted about two hours.

At a March 13 student government meeting, Campus Activities and Engagement Director Heather Hall said that a huge student turnout at the event would be important to Spectar.

Hall said students could be rewarded with a movie ticket if they attended Rich Ragan’s speech.

Students who had planned to attend the event could pick up a voucher prior to the event from any resident assistant or in the Campus Activities and Engagement office in the Student Union’s ground floor.

Vouchers required a student’s name and student ID number and could only be redeemed after the event and were available to students at a table after the event had finished.

Students who redeemed their voucher received a blue movie coupon that can be redeemed at Richland Cinemas to admit one person to any movie of his or her choice.

The ticket expires Feb. 22, 2019.

Freshman Tyler Weakland said he thought Rich Ragan’s speech was interesting.

Weakland, who redeemed a voucher, said he would like to see Peter Rabbit—directed by Will Gluck—when he redeems his coupon.

Senior Chris Nagy said he attended the event to receive a boost in his American Political Process class grade.

“My professor offered bonus points,” Nagy said.

Senior Ross Dirienzo said he got bonus points for two of his classes for attending the event.

The event attracted enough audience members to fill about half of the Pasquerilla Center’s main auditorium floor.

Wrabley finished the event by thanking Spectar for being persistent in bringing Ragan and Maraniss to speak on campus.