PR director to burnish perceptions

Matt Churella

Pitt-Johnstown President Jem Spectar introduces the campus’ new Communications and Public Relations Director Eric Sloss at an Oct. 3 Town Hall meeting.

Matt Churella, News Editor

When Tammy Barbin was promoted to Pitt-Johnstown executive development director in May, campus President Jem Spectar’s cabinet did not have an Executive Communications and Public Relations director.

On Sept. 25, however, that vacancy was filled by Pitt-Oakland public relations instructor Eric Sloss.

Sloss has a bachelor’s degree in Communications from Pitt and earned a master’s at Carnegie Melon University. Sloss said he has worked 10 years as a public relations director for Carnegie Melon University’s fine arts college.

“Then I was the partner of a communications marketing firm in Pittsburgh for six years,” he said. “I have done other (public relations) work beyond that.”

Sloss, who has taught public relations classes at Pitt-Oakland for six years, said Pitt-Johnstown’s campus environment differs from Pitt-Oakland, while providing a similar education quality.

“The natural environment provides a very safe and meditative place to study,” Sloss said. “I can’t help but recognize the academic reputation here, too.”

Spectar introduced Sloss to faculty and staff members at an Oct. 3 Town Hall meeting.

“He joins us with a lot of credentials in the area of communications and public relations,” Spectar said.

Sloss called Spectar inspirational and a                  visionary.

“He holds his staff accountable, but he’s realistic in terms of what can be accomplished with the resources and means available,” Sloss said, adding that he feels honored to work for Pitt-Johnstown.

“I keep saying that I have the easy job because I get to tell the great stories of faculty, staff and students about all the good work that we’re doing here at (Pitt-Johnstown).”

Sloss said he hopes to maintain relationships with regional newspapers by telling stories of the campus’ faculty and students.

“I think (at) any regional newspaper, we want to continue to maintain those important relationships.

“We will be thinking about what our advertising opportunities are in print publications. But, most importantly, what we want to do is tell the stories of students and faculty.”