First updates planned for building

Matt Churella

Pitt-Johnstown officials are planning to update the Living/Learning Center’s showers, along with other renovations to the building, over summer break. Finance and Administration Vice President Amy Buxbaum said the renovation details are not finalized.

Alyssa Coleman, News Editor

The Living/Learning Center is to be renovated this summer for the first time in its 24-year history.

At a Dec. 18 town hall meeting, Pitt-Johnstown President Jem Spectar said the Living/Learning Center is to undergo several updates.

Although there are to be updates to the building, the renovations are to primarily affect the showers.

According to Finance and Administration Vice President Amy Buxbaum, changes to the Living/Learning Center were first announced as part of Pitt-Johnstown’s strategic plan, which was proposed in 2014.

“We are still working through final details on the scope of renovations,” Buxbaum said.  “Project details will be finalized very soon. All construction work for (Pitt-Johnstown) is completed by qualified contractors following a bidding process.  The selection of a contractor has not yet occurred, as we are continuing to finalize the scope of the work that will be performed.”

Student Affairs Vice President Chris Stumpf said that these renovations will be the first for the Living/Learning Center.

“It wasn’t a specific person’s idea to have the renovations done,” Stumpf said. “The building was first opened in 1994, and we just thought it was time to have some updates performed on it.”

These renovations follow a series of cleanings, because of mold contamination, performed in buildings throughout Pitt-Johnstown, with the Living/Learning Center affected the most.

According to Stumpf, mold has not been found in the Living/Learning Center since September, which was the last time it was thoroughly cleaned.  Since then, routine cleanings have been done on the showers as a way to prevent further mold accumulation.

Renovation details have not been finalized yet, but Buxbaum said they are to be announced soon.