Halfway grades catalogued

Yang Chen

Freshman chemical engineering major Cole Feathers studies last Thursday in the Student Union’s commuter lounge. March 3 was the deadline to submit midterm grades for all students.

Yang Chen, Sports Editor

With the coming spring break, it’s the time for instructors to submit freshmen and transferred students’ midterm grades.  Since 20 percent of freshmen are on academic probation, counselors can get a measure on whether they’re improving.

Freshman volleyball player Cassie Pascarella, a civil engineering major, is taking Physics 2, Calculus 2 and General Chemistry 2, for a total of 17 credits.

“I’m pretty good at my academic standing right now,” Pascarella said.

“Recently, we are (in the) off season, but I need to spend seven hours (training) for volleyball at the Wellness Center (outside of) time in weight room.”

Pascarella said it is difficult to balance and study near midterms.

“I have to spend extra time on my studying during the weekend, but I used to do it when I was in high school.

“We are going to have our first tournament in 2019 soon, and it’s hard for me to focus on studying.

“I’m required to practice volleyball Tuesdays and Wednesdays for two hours.

“I’m going to have exams on Wednesday and Thursday, but I can handle it right now.”

Freshman Cole Feathers is a chemical engineering student who works for campus facilities management as a custodian 15 hours a week.

He is also taking 15 credits, including Physics 2, Calculus 2, and Organic Chemistry.

“I’m a commuter and will stay on campus from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., and I worked so hard to get good standing in my Organic Chemistry class,” Feathers said.

Freshman Olivia Tetzloff, a biology major with a 3.85 GPA, is taking Biology 2, Chemistry 2, and Calculus 1, for 18 credits in this semester.

“I have a good schedule and routine with my studying, and I just organize my study for now.

“I was just focusing on my studies, and I’ll average three hours a day. Also, I’ll spend time over the weekend to study.”

Manisha Nigam, who is the only instructor for Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, and she said there are five freshmen in her classes; three of them transfer students.

“There are almost 30 percent of students who are going to retake Organic Chemistry.

“I think that it depends on their general chemistry background to determine whether they can have a good standing on Organic Chemistry.

“I hope students having problems can contact me, in my office hours, review sessions and email.

“I’ll answer email from morning to night, and make appointments from Monday to Friday. I’m willing to help them.”

Academic Counselor and Tutoring Coordinator Leanna Brooke Noon said professors will submit midterm grades for first-time freshman and transfer students.

The deadline to submit midterm grades was 9 p.m. March 3.

The grades provide an accurate assessment of academic standing at the semester’s halfway mark.

“Academic counselors review these grades, make contact with struggling students, provide recommendations for repairing the grade or protecting the GPA and offer to meet with students prior to the deadline to withdrawal from individual classes.

“The Academic Success Center recognizes that all students and all situations are unique, so, while we have a standard protocol, we also adapt and tailor services to meet the individual needs of students,” Noon said.