The Advocate

Two events to help animal shelter

Back to Article
Back to Article

Two events to help animal shelter

8-week-old Aspen and her sister Vegas are available for adoption at the humane society.

Alyssa Coleman

Alyssa Coleman

Alyssa Coleman

Alyssa Coleman, News Editor

Cambria County Humane Society animals are receiving help as Pitt-Johnstown community members raise money, collect supplies and help assist in adoptions.

Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center Director Michael Bodolosky said every year at the band and choir’s winter and spring concerts people are encouraged to donate money to the society.

“I’ve been here since 1993, and they’ve been doing this since before I got here,” Bodolosky said.

“People will bring money and even food and other supplies for the animals to our concerts.”

He said, every year, between the two concerts, around $1,000 is collected for the society’s shelter in addition to the food and other supplies, and that more donations are received at Christmas than in the spring.

“I have rescue animals, and I know how difficult it can be for them,” Bodolosky said.

“I’m happy the students like doing it. We’ve tried helping in other ways before, but it became hard due to scheduling conflicts. Doing anything to help is important.”

Program Board President Hanna Dixon said, this year, at the annual block party, society volunteers are to bring adoptable animals to campus.

“For the first hour of our block party, we’re going to have different adoptable animals on campus that students can pet and get to know,” Dixon said. 

“We’ll also have a donation drive and put out a list of items that (shelter managers) need.

“Bringing in something from the list is part of how (students can) get a free shirt this year.”

Society Executive Director Jessica Vamos said she appreciates the help that Pitt-Johnstown community members give.

“Our relationship is growing with the school. The people there advocate for the shelter and are involved in events where they collect donations for us,” she said. “There are even some groups that come and volunteer for us.”

Vamos said something good for college students to do is foster animals for a day, where students can take the animals out on walks or feature them at events.

“For the block party, it would be nice for the students to be foster parents because then they take control of the animal for the entire day,” she said.

“We are always looking for fosters and volunteers.”

Vamos said the shelter is always accepting donations.

“We are in need of non-clumping cat litter (because) we go through that the most,” she said.

“We’re also looking for toys that keep the dogs busy, office supplies and even gift cards to places like Petco, Walmart and Amazon.

“Kitten season is coming up, so wet or dry kitten food is appreciated. We appreciate any help we can get.”

Alyssa Coleman, News Editor

Graduated High School: 2016, Bishop McCort Catholic High School (Johnstown)
Year: Sophomore
Anticipated Graduation Date: April 2021
Major/Minor:...