The Advocate

Make cabin more accessible

Kyle Sarver

Kyle Sarver

The Log Cabin, a unique Pitt-Johnstown landmark, is not accessible to everyone in the community.

Not only is the cabin not built for handicapped individuals, but the trail leading to the cabin is unlit and unsafe for even those without a disability. 

Finance and Administration Vice President Amy Buxbaum has said that plans to renovate the Log Cabin began back in 2002. 

However, 16 years later with no progress, responsibility has fallen on Alumni Association members to raise funds for renovation.

The cost to renovate the cabin is close to $500,000. Pitt-Johnstown President Jem Spectar said in January that the cost was too high and that he had decided to walk away from the Alumni Association’s project.

Even though fraternities are no longer allowed to hold open parties, some clubs are still able to host parties.  

When club members decide they want to host a party, a member must sign a form acknowledging that club members know the cabin is not handicapped-accessible, and must fill out a form if a handicap-accessible location is needed.

Why, after 16 years, has not a single step been taken to make the Log Cabin handicapped accessible?  

Administrators make it a priority to raise money for scholarships or build a chemical engineering building, but not make something alumni and current Pitt-Johnstown community members care about accessible to everyone.

If the Log Cabin renovation was really on administrators’ to-do lists, they would have, at the very least, put a start to it years ago.

The path leading to the cabin is also hidden, so an unlit pathway at night when raining can be dangerous to individuals who are unsure of the cabin’s location, intoxicated, or wearing heels.

Partying is something every student should have the opportunity to enjoy during their time at college, and we are excluding those who are disabled from this opportunity by leaving the Log Cabin in the unreliable state that it is in.

We hope that something like lights or pathway improvements would be implemented so that at least those who attend the parties would not have to worry about falling down or twisting an ankle.