The Advocate

Choices should be students’

Back to Article
Back to Article

Choices should be students’

Kyle Sarver

Kyle Sarver

Kyle Sarver

We think that English as a Second Language classes are hindering some international students from reaching their fullest academic potential.

Any student should be allowed to take any class that they want because they are paying tuition costs to receive an education they choose.

A schedule should not be determined by the Pitt-Johnstown officials or faculty whether a student is ready for a certain class or not.

It is unfair that international students are not allowed to retake the required English placement exam, especially for the sophomore student who said that he was five points away from taking a regular – not a second language – composition class.

Failure should be viewed as an opportunity to improve, not as a permanent setback that forces international students to sit through the entire English as a Second Language course series when they may not need to.

Failing a class or being put on academic probation could be a wake-up call in itself that the student is not ready for regular classes.

We believe that college should be a time for students to test their limits and strive to reach their fullest potential.

While university staff can offer advice and guidance to international students seeking it, ultimately, the students should decide which classes to enroll in.

We realize that English as a Second Language workshops or composition classes may be helpful and necessary for some international students, but they should be optional. If a student feels he or she is ready for a tougher challenge, let them try.

Students should be given the opportunities to challenge themselves in the face of adversity, or else they may be sitting through a class that is wasting their time.

These students are adults who are fully capable of having the freedom to manage their own class schedules and should be given more credit.

Requiring the placement exam is a setback for some students that needs to be reconsidered.

We believe that keeping these factors in mind for the future would give international students more control over their schedules and create a fair classroom experience.