Classes, sports conflict

Men%E2%80%99s+soccer+coach+Eric+Kinsey+%28center%2C+wearing+black%29+said+that+he+does+not+condone+student-athletes+missing+class.+++

Ali Single

Men’s soccer coach Eric Kinsey (center, wearing black) said that he does not condone student-athletes missing class.

Emily Moore, Copy Editor

Among workouts, practices and classes, collegiate athletes have little room for error.

The controversy has been the question whether academics are more important than athletics.

A Pitt-Johnstown coach explained his viewpoint behind the ordeal.

According to the men’s soccer coach Eric Kinsey, his athletes are expected to schedule their classes around practice.

“Our guys know when our practices typically run, so we expect them to try to schedule classes around that as much as possible,” said Kinsey.

“Sometimes, the class conflict cannot be avoided, especially with labs in some of our majors,” said Kinsey.

“If we have a day of the week where we have a major conflict, we will adjust our practice time slightly.”

According to Kinsey, the overlapping of classes and practices is minimal.

However, in-class assignments and exams are still an issue.

According to Kinsey, when those conflicts arise, it is not a problem; his team is flexible.

“If a player has a class that requires him to be late to practice, we expect him to head down to the field as soon as that class is done,” said Kinsey.

According to women’s basketball coach Mike Drahos, he works with his athletes to schedule around their classes so they miss as little practice as possible.

“We schedule around their schedules,” said Drahos.

“When it comes to games and classes, it has never really been an issue that my players miss a lot of class for games,” said Drahos.

When it gets to the heart of the season, overlapping of classes and games does occur a little though, according to Drahos.

“When we have Wednesday games, we depart at the usual time of one or two in the afternoon,” said Drahos.

“Some, but few of our players, have classes at that time that they have to miss,” said Drahos.

“So, it does happen, but not a lot.”

Athletic director and wrestling head coach Pat Pecora weighed in.

“We do not miss class for practices ever,” said Pecora.

“If classes are at the same time as practices, classes are first, always,” Pecora said.