Volleyball is going on to get better

The+Pitt-Johnstown+women%E2%80%99s+volleyball+team+training+March+27+in+the+Wellness+Center.+

Yang Chen

The Pitt-Johnstown women’s volleyball team training March 27 in the Wellness Center.

Yang Chen, Sports Editor

The Pitt-Johnstown women’s volleyball team had a scrimmage game March 26, winning against Saint Vincent College.

The scrimmage was part of the team’s spring regimen.

Freshman middle hitter Rebecca Miller said it’s one of the ways team members stay in condition to play.

Miller also said she has conditioning training three or four times a week, and plays volleyball two times a week.

“I became better over this season, especially in my technical skill.

“Lifting helps me build my physical strength,” Miller said of her conditioning.

Women’s volleyball assistant coach Nathan Carota has helped the team since 2017.

“We scheduled a training plan for two or three times per week, to make sure that the girls can lift more.

“It’s the spring season, and the girls will feel less stressed during their training,” Carota said.

Volleyball co-head coach Justin Haupt has posted a 144-58 record, including two national tournament berths.

“We are just having fun right now, but the girls are still improving over spring season,” Haupt said.

There were 10 freshmen out of 16 players total in the 2018-19 season, but the team was still qualified for the conference playoffs at season’s end. 

“The freshmen became so much stronger than they were, and they worked so hard in the weight room to improve themselves.

“I can see their volleyball IQ increased, and their transition from high school to college volleyball is at an unbelievable speed.

“The atmosphere in the volleyball team is so good.

“I’m so proud of leading and coaching them and want to see their successes in the next season,“ Haupt said.

Junior Noelle Carota was an outside hitter on the team, and set an individual high of 21 kills in the 2018 season.

“I feel like we played really well for our first scrimmage of the season,” Carota said of the March 24 scrimmage.

“I have been working hard in the Wellness Center as it is my senior season, and I want to do my best for my last season.

“I’m very proud of all the girls on the team and how much they have been putting in.

“I can’t wait to see what we can accomplish this upcoming season” 

Freshman Cassie Pascarella was a redshirt freshman year last season, and is to move to the regular team in her sophomore year.

“I became stronger from fall season to spring season because I have more free time.

“I also have more time to focus on my skills in spring season to improve myself, and I lifted more weight to get more muscle,” Pascarella said.