Sophomore leading team in game stats

Tyler Nigro, Staff Writer

Boasting a 3-3 conference record, the Pitt-Johnstown Lady Cats basketball team members are working to master their defensive skills as they aim for more success.

“We have been working on our full court press,” said senior center Jasmine Harper.

“We want to play a fast game and pressure other teams into playing the game we want to play.”

A team chemistry also is important to the Lady Cats,

“Our chemistry is our greatest strength. It seems like we all think alike on the court,” Smith.

Younger players have been able to get into a team flow too, as they have in the past.

Last year, as a freshman making 10 starts and playing in 24 games, forward Olivia McCabe posted 4.9 points and 3.4 rebounds a game.

Now a sophomore, McCabe leads the team with 121 points, 9.2 rebounds per game, 12 blocked shots and is second in free throws and steals.

“We all push each other. The year and experience doesn’t matter.  We just gel together,” said Smith.

“As a sophomore it is a privilege and honor to be playing with some of the best young women I know.  I look up to every single one of those girls,” said McCabe

The Lady Cats also continue to grow by having intense practices.

“We all work as a unit.  When players come off the bench, they never fail to step up.  We can rely on every one of us to contribute something great,” said McCabe.

Also, four new freshmen recruits are making additional contributions to the team.

Forward Tori Moreland, guard Laurel O’Barto, guard Abigail Sporio, and guard Ana Hollen were all four-year letter-winners in high school.

Hoping to continue success and carry on to the 2016 conference tournament, the Lady Cats update at Mansfield University.