Spotlight to shine on collaboration

Lucy Li, Contributing Writer

The musical comedy, “Little Shop of Horrors,” is to be performed Nov. 16, 17 at 7:30 p.m., and Nov. 18 at 2 p.m. at the studio theater in the Pasquerilla Performing Arts Center by the Band of Brothers Shakespeare Company and Jeff Webb, an associate music professor.

Band of Brothers member and Pitt-Johnstown alumnus Doug Meagher is the musical’s director.

“(As a Pitt-Johnstown alumnus), I’m happy to be back on campus.”

Meagher said this show is unique because it is a performance by the local community theatre in conjunction with the Pitt-Johnstown student theater.

“All the stage construction is done by students…there is also a handful of Pitt-Johnstown students playing.

“(Our) plan is to have the relationship (between Pitt-Johnstown and the Band of Brothers Shakespeare Company) continue and have a show (at the Pasquerilla Performing Acts Center) every year,” Meagher said.

Meagher said this show is more cartoonish than other musicals.

“(The) subject matter is different. It is a comical, (it is) not graphically scary, (and it is meant to be) very funny.”

Meagher said the musical is going well and they are excited.

Webb said he is responsible for teaching all the music in the show, conducting the pit orchestra and playing the piano as part of the pit orchestra.

Webb said he has been the musical director for several shows in the course of his career, some of which have taken place at Pitt-Johnstown.

The music is a lot of fun to play, he said.

“This musical has more 1950s or 1960s style music in it than most other musicals that I have done.

“The music is reminiscent of early rock ‘n’ roll and uses the influence of popular girl groups like the Chiffons, the Crystals and the Ronettes,” Webb said.

However, he said scheduling is a challenge.

“Everybody always has so much going on that (it is hard) to find times where everybody can be at rehearsal at the same time,” he said.

“We have a very talented cast and I am very excited for them to share those talents with the audience.”

Both Meager and Webb said the audience should be prepared to laugh and enjoy themselves during the show.

“It’s musical comedy. The music is fun and relatable to most patrons who will come to see the show,” Webb said.

Tickets can be purchased for $22 at the box office or online.

At 7:30 p.m. Nov. 15, Pitt-Johnstown students with an ID can purchase show tickets for $10.